Losing your property and home to a fire can cost you a fortune. Besides that, it also poses a deadly risk for you and your loved ones.
Fortunately, you can take proactive measures to reduce these risks. Check out these safety tips to avoid fires at home.
Regularly check your smoke detectors.
Your home security system is your first line of defense against intruders. Fire and smoke detectors are like that as well.
That’s why you have to get in the habit of routinely inspecting your smoke and fire detectors.
If you have a battery-operated smoke or fire detector, you must check it at least once a month to see if it’s still working.
On the other hand, if it’s the type that’s connected to your Wi-Fi or internet service, it will just send alerts to your smart devices in case you already need to change the batteries.
Ensure your appliances and heating sources are working well.
One of the top causes of fire accidents is faulty appliances and equipment. You see, unattended or unchecked appliances and heating sources can easily trigger fires.
For this reason, it’s essential to opt for an annual check-up to ensure that every appliance in your house works properly and safely. It’s also good to have preventive maintenance and appliance repairs periodically.
If you require expert help in repairing your home appliances, here are some reviews that may be of help to you:
- Best furnace repair services
- Best fridge repair services
- Best dryer repair services
- Best washing machine repair services
- Best radiator repair services
- Best boiler repair services
- Best television repair services
- Best oven repair services
- Best fireplace repair services
Pay full attention when cooking.
Multitasking has its benefits, but you shouldn’t be distracted when dealing with a boiling pot of oil and a raging stove. Cooking disruptions can cause kitchen fires.
Note that within a few seconds, your kitchen can combust and crumble. That’s why it’s best to turn off the stove or oven if you need to go out.
We also recommend cleaning your countertop and wiping food particles on your kitchen appliances after using them.
Always be careful with cords and outlets.
Note that a single spark from an exposed wire can cause a fire to start. Frayed or faulty wires are dangerous, so regularly checking your appliance cords is also good practice.
If there are worn or damaged cords, replace them right away. It’s also best to avoid plugging too many appliances into one outlet or wall socket because it can lead to overload.
Store flammable products appropriately.
Makeup, rubbing alcohol, cooking oil, household cleaners, and even nail polish are some of the highly flammable materials you can find at home. These products can combust if you put them too close to a heat source.
To avoid accidents, make sure to check the label of the items or products you have at home. The best place to store flammable items is in a well-ventilated and dry room.
Do not put them in places exposed to heat sources such as space heaters, furnaces, stoves, and boilers.